Monday, January 11, 2016

Emotion Masks

When it comes to fifth grade, they are little balls of emotion. What better then a project having them explore those emotions that isn't a self-portrait?

So simple we start with creating a base layer of newspaper. This does two things, gets the students use to the paper mache' goop again and how to use it. And two creates, well, a base for the white paper building. 

From here the REAL fun beginnings. 

I provide examples (as you can see) of the four main emotions they will be exploring. Each student is randomly assigned an emotion. I do random because otherwise I would end up with 25 happy and 5 angry. The four emotions I have them use are happy, scared, angry, and sad. We discuss these emotions and how ones face looks. The examples have exaggerated looking emotions which they need to create in their mask. And to add to it, I have them create a boarder to their mask reflects the emotion as well. This is probably the harder part due to attaching it but I feel it really pushes those problem solving. (Sorry I don't have many pictures of the building process due to goop and not having my camera on me due to goop.)

Once all dry, students begin painting BUT they must get approval of a design from me and explain their design choices. As I tell them, "Angry is not just red! Think deeper! Think of when you feel this and what comes to mind." 


The result were amazing!




No comments:

Post a Comment