Monday, January 11, 2016

Silly Sentences

For 3rd grade I have them create what I call silly sentences. It is this project that combines language arts with art!
The students create a sentence from a worksheet I provide and then create a drawing representation of that sentence. Over the years I have adjusted the worksheet to make it easier for each student to work through. 
I start by having them create three sentences in their sketchbooks. Coming up with details to enhance the image the way the sentence can not. This also gives them a planning process and practice of writing the sentence. I inform them that due to selecting from the sheet, there should be NO SPELLING ERRORS!


Next we start the final! The final I have them do on 12x18 sheet of white paper and with color pencils. I have been storing up these amazing woodless color pencils which made this part go SO much faster then previous years. I tell them, "Tell the reader a story with your drawing, the sentence is only the beginning!" I really push for craftsmanship during this part, not accepting scribbles at all. 


Last step, critique!! I have them share and talk about their artwork and discuss. This is the part I worry about the most but I tell them that is is very helpful and after I ask them their thoughts. They actually liked do it and think it helped them understand why they make art. (yes one actually said that.) Plus giving them suckers for positive discussions and staying focus does help too. 






No comments:

Post a Comment