Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Ce'zanne's Fruit Plate


This is a project I developed that focuses on the use of Paul Ce'zanne's artwork. It combines the use of color theory, shape building, paper cutting, art history, reading, and even some value understanding. 

I start each day with reading a little bit of...
(Note I think this is something I might change for next year due to how the students interacted with it.)

Now this is the first time I did this one so things can be fixed. 


To start students make mix red and blue to make purple and paint a WHOLE sheet (12x18). I do this first because it gets them in the habit of how to clean up after themselves and play with the brushes. 
And putting them away!

Next is orange and green. Which I have them again mixing the primaries to create that secondary but using one sheet for both. Working on developing folding (hamburger style is what I call it but otherwise known as book style) and brush control. 




NEXT we build! 

I talk to them about how Ce'zanne used shape to make his artwork and how they have to make a LARGE oval and medium circles for their "apples or oranges". Talking about what the difference between small and medium. I like to do hand/finger measurements so I say so be " bigger then three fingers wide, so if your three fingers covers it up..TO SMALL!"  But they get to decide if they are making apples or oranges and use the other color for the plate. 


I also discuss overlapping as well but I throw in some discussion of "shiny and shadows" with oil pastels. I demonstrate what to do for them and have the students tell/explain what I did. The shinny and shadow is more just a extra bonus design. But the main reason I do all this is to have them develop that use/ understanding of secondary colors and build on shape identifying within objects. Also the fine motor skills isn't bad either. 


No comments:

Post a Comment