Saturday, October 3, 2015

O'Keeffe Warm/Cool Flowers



One of the benchmarks my district has is students must demonstrate control over their brushstrokes. To do this, I created a project based off of Georgia O'Keeffe. (An artist I will be honestly, I dislike but is from Wisconsin so feel I should mention her once.)
                                                              
I start by reading this book to them. We talk about her life and how she was always different and was passionate about her artwork. 


Next we look at her artwork. I simple ask them "what do you see?" and students point out colors and shapes and I ask about the pellets and do they go all the way off or stop? 

This leads to the first set which is creating the flower part. I have students draw a large circle in a corner then draw the pellets going off the page. REALLY pushing them to be big and go off the page. Using their WHOLE arm to make the line. Once drawn, I have students use black glue I made (white glue with black ink) to trace the lines. This helps protect the lines during painting and lets them develop that fine motor control with squeezing the bottle.  (sorry no picture)


NEXT we paint! Now this is were I challenge them. I tell them they get to choose one of two color groups. Warm OR cool. We discuss what each is and why they are called this. And I challenge them further by telling them that O'Keeffe got great details but controlling the way she painted. She painted with the pellet, not against. 


End results! I like doing this project near the beginning of the year. To add some color into the halls right away. 





No comments:

Post a Comment