Monday, April 11, 2016

Pixel Art

Pixels! No not the movie, but the little dots that make up every image we show any student. Big or small they make it up. I wanted to do a more imaginative and self guided lesson with my 4th graders so I decided to do some pixel fun. Plus throw in some math and we had a good time. 


To start I had the students use a pre-marked up copied square I created for them. Each square had every 1 inch marked and was 10 x 10. So they should of ended up with 100 squares. From there I pre-cut up little squares of colored paper and let the students go to town.





My only few requirements were that their lines were straight, they did not cut any pieces in half and used at least 50% of their space. Also demonstrate craftsmanship with lining up those squares inside the space.  Some even got to making two.




I would totally do this project again, it only took two days for my students to do it. I would do more discussion and planning time for what they make next time. And really demonstrate how to line up that ruler better for lines. My students with more fine motor control issues did have some trouble with lining it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment