Monday, April 18, 2016

Recycled Bottle Banks

Integration is such a part of my art teaching that the classroom teachers share what is going on in their room on a regular bases. So one day my 3rd grade teacher asked if I had any idea on how to do a project based on their inquiry into renewable energy and recycling. Some time and planning later and a few eye twitches later. I came up with these Recycled Bottle Banks. Which I feel, honestly is pretty genius. 


So it starts with having the students pick a bottle. Now because bottles are cylanders that like to roll on their side, I have students attached old marker caps to the bottom as feet to hold the bottle in place. Just simple masking tape will do.
After that we paper mache', first in newspaper or old phone book paper. Then a layer in white to really finish it off. 
When they were all dry I cut the hole for the money myself with a box cutter. 


Next we paint! Now painting it was interesting because I had the students use their renewable energy source as their inspiration to paint. I had them design and describe to me what they planned to do before painting and I demonstrated to them the importance of a base color before details. The rest is all them.





I loved this project and so did my students. I had them make sure to paint the whole thing and they learned about the round. If I were to do this again, which I totally would. I would have more guided questions for my students. I feel like I told them why they needed the feet and why a base color is good. I want them to answer rather then be told why. 

No comments:

Post a Comment