Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Bad Case of Stripes Self Portraits

I like to use book with my projects. Being at the elementary level really does help fulfill that. So with my younger students I try to go from book to artists to book with my project pattern. Sometimes even having a book about an artist.
For this project, I wanted to get them talking about patterns and being themselves. So I found Bad Case of Stripes and even a video on youtube of it being read. I play it for the students and discuss what it is about and the importance of you! 

Because stripes are discussed in the title, I also use it to discuss patterns. What makes a pattern? What has to happen? We compare patterns to non patterns and then design our own. Students have fun coming up with all these different ones. 

Next, the portrait time! I ask students "what is a self-portrait? Just from the name?"
This gets the ball rolling and I have them look at an example and discuss shapes they could use.
From here we practice practice practice! Being their first ones ( I don't do ones in kindergarten due to time.) 
EVEN breaking out the white boards to do practice on to really get those shapes we want. (Got them for $1 each at my local dollar store during back to school time. Best idea ever.)

Once my students just practice themselves, we combine the two. Self portrait and patterns! In another practice! (I am diabolical with using those sketchbooks.) 
I have them draw themselves three more times and then do a pattern background for each. If you are keeping track that is at least 6 drawings of themselves. 


FINALLY we start the final. 

Putting all this hard work and really showing we can say no to scribbles. 


No comments:

Post a Comment