Monday, November 16, 2015

BOATS!! Homer/Hopper Seascapes






Boats!! For this project I have the students look at the artwork of Winslow Homer and Edward Hopper. WHY? You might ask, well two reasons. One being my district has a benchmark where the students need to develop understanding for painting and landscapes AND opaque/transparent paints. This project combines all that and two being they are discussing artwork. I have them compare these two artists who have similar subject matters but have different feelings to their work. 

In comes the discussion of color choice as well. I use this project to also discuss tint, tone, and shade and how to create it AND discuss opaque and transparent paint. 
To create this high sea adventure I start by having the students paint one sheet of paper with watercolor tempera paint or as I called it our "opaque". THEN paint with regular tempera paint on a second sheet. 
Embedded image permalink
(Note that I have them work on newspaper to save on clean up.)

This can be a lot of fun but super messy. I allow them to experiment with the tint,tone, and shade by mixing right on the paper and allowing them to take paint for the regular tempera. 

Once dry, I put them together in their opaque and transparent partners and demonstrate how to make the water with the opaque paper as their sea. 


It is simple really, they take the opaque paper and rip it. I explain and demonstrate that if they rip it from short side to short, they can get these white edges. They then can layer it to create the sea as wild or calm as they want. THEN I show them how to make boats out of origami paper. I show them a picture of some boats and ask them about the size change. They then proceed to create their boats and I say a goal is to have 3 and in size order. 



I enjoy this project a lot because it gets them discussing many different elements of art. 


No comments:

Post a Comment