Friday, November 6, 2015

Split Emotion Self-portrait

2nd grade finished their self-portraits and overall great work. 


To start this project, I read my students the book. The Way I Feel. I ask them questions about what they think each emotion is based on the colors, the appearance of the person and colors used. I mainly point out 5 emotions; happy, sad, angry, silly, and scared. Common emotions I think we all can relate too. I also have them explain what shapes they feel work best for parts of the body and for the face before they start drawing.



I have them sketch out all these emotions with background and features of the face that show that emotion. REALLY point out that they can not just write "happy" on there. Have to see it to believe it, not read it. 


Once sketched, we create the final. Now this is were it can get tricky. I have them do two in one. I first have them fold the paper hot dog style( long side to long side) next they unfold the paper and draw the basic parts of them. Head shape, shoulders, and nose. The rest they add depending on the emotion. I tell them their goal is to have the viewer know the emotion on each side just by looking. 
I really push for craftsmanship understanding at this stage too. 


Finished product. 



No comments:

Post a Comment