Monday, November 23, 2015

Kindergarten Rainbow Trees

OH LOOK A RAINBOW!

I personally hate doing the same boring rainbow. So I decided to switch it up a few years a back with the rainbow tree!
How I start it out is, I read the students "Stuck" by Oliver Jeffers. A personal favorite author, good stuff.  I talk about the details they notice and how the colors of the tree are different and what they think might happen. 

After that, we start the tree first. I simply have them put their hand in the middle of their paper, like it is stuck, and trace it with their arm. Next they color it in with brown and wahal! a tree without leaves. 


From here is the painting fun! I start with a primary and mix in another primary to make a secondary. I do two colors a day due to my time with them. As you can see, I use a paper plate for the paint and I give them a small sponge to stamp the leaves with. I go over every time the expectations of cleaning up after themselves and how to do it quickly so our other friends can get cleaned up too. 

As we go through the colors, I make them count. First 10, then 15, and finally 20. I also discuss layering and not painting with it but stamping. 
 

Once all painting is done, we add details that we would find outside. Really pushing them to color in as much as they can. 


No comments:

Post a Comment